Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wesley: preaching in the field

Thursday, May 24, 2012
    Feast of John and Charles Wesley, Priests, Poets, Teachers, 1791 & 1788
Meditation:
    To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.
    —1 Corinthians 9:22 (NIV)
Quotation:
    I could scarcely reconcile myself at first to this strange way of preaching in the fields, of which [Whitfield] set me an example on Sunday; having been all my life (till very lately) so tenacious of every point relating to decency and order, that I should have thought the saving of souls almost a sin, if it had not been done in a church.
    ... John Wesley (1703-1791), entry for March 29, 1739, Journal of the Rev. John Wesley, v. I, London: J. Kershaw, 1827, p. 177 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You are calling Your people to spread the gospel.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home