Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Maclaren: Christ dwelling in your heart

Tuesday, April 24, 2012
    Commemoration of Mellitus, First Bishop of London, 624
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.”
    —John 6:56 (NIV)
Quotation:
    To begin with, let me say in the plainest, simplest, strongest way that I can, that that dwelling of Christ in the believing heart is to be regarded as being a plain literal fact... It is not to be weakened down into any notion of participation in His likeness, sympathy with His character, submission to His influence, following His example, listening to His instruction, or the like. A dead Plato may so influence his followers, but that is not how a living Christ influences His disciples... God means and wishes that Christ may continuously dwell in our hearts.
    ... Alexander Maclaren (1826-1910), Christ in the Heart: and other sermons, Macmillan, 1887, p. 16-19 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You have opened my heart to receive You.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home