Friday, February 03, 2012

Rousseau: the Scriptures

Friday, February 3, 2012
    Feast of Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary to Denmark and Sweden, 865
Meditation:
As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
    —Isaiah 55:10-11 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Peruse the books of philosophers, with all their pomp of diction: how meager, how contemptible they are when compared with the Scriptures! The majesty of the Scriptures strikes me with admiration.
    ... Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778), Emile, or, On education, UPNE, 2009, p. 147 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your word shames the world.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home