Thursday, July 07, 2011

Watts: Why should the children of a king

Thursday, July 7, 2011
Meditation:
    The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
    —Romans 8:16 (NIV)
Quotation:
The Witnessing and Sealing Spirit

Why should the children of a king
    Go mourning all their days?
Great Comforter, descend and bring
    Some tokens of thy grace.

Dost thou not dwell in all the saints,
    And seal the heirs of heav’n?
When wilt thou banish my complaints,
    And show my sins forgiven?

Assure my conscience of her part
    In the Redeemer’s blood;
And bear thy witness with my heart,
    That I am born of God.

Thou are the earnest of his love,
    The pledge of joys to come;
And thy soft wings, celestial Dove,
    Will safe convey me home.
    ... Isaac Watts (1674-1748), Hymns and Spiritual Songs [1707], in Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, ed. Samuel Melanchthon Worcester, Boston: Crocker & Brewster, 1834, Book I, Hymn 144, p. 366 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, by Your Spirit we have assurance.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home