Sunday, May 29, 2011

Donne: no other way

Sunday, May 29, 2011
Meditation:
    [Peter:] “... We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as [the Gentiles] are.”
    —Acts 15:11 (NIV)
Quotation:
    To me, to whom God hath revealed his Son, in a Gospel, by a Church, there can be no way of salvation, but by applying that Son of God, by that Gospel, in that Church. Nor is there any other foundation for any, nor other name by which any can be saved, but the name of Jesus. But how this foundation is presented, and how this name of Jesus is notified unto them, amongst whom there is no Gospel preached, no Church established, I am not curious in inquiring. I know that God can be as merciful as those tender Fathers present him to be; and I would be as charitable as they are. And therefore, humbly embracing that manifestation of his Son, which he hath afforded me, I leave God, to his unsearchable waies of working upon others, without further inquisition.
    ... John Donne (1573-1631), Works of John Donne, vol. I, London: John W. Parker, 1839, p. 489 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your justice is mercy.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home