Thursday, July 29, 2010

Taylor: mercy over sins

Thursday, July 29, 2010
    Feast of Mary, Martha & Lazarus, Companions of Our Lord
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
    —Matthew 26:28 (NIV)
Quotation:
    I acknowledge, dear God, that I have deserved the greatest of Thy wrath and indignation; and that, if Thou hadst dealt with me according to my deserving, I had now, at this instant, been desperately bewailing my miseries in the sorrows and horrors of a sad eternity. But Thy mercy triumphing over Thy justice and my sins, Thou hast still continued to me life and time of repentance; Thou hast opened to me the gates of grace and mercy, and perpetually callest upon me to enter in, and to walk in the paths of a holy life, that I might glorify Thee and be glorified of Thee eternally.
    ... Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667), Holy Living [1650], in The Whole Works of the Right Rev. Jeremy Taylor, D.D., v. III, London: Longman, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1847, p. 34 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, I believe Your promise to forgive sins.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home