Friday, October 02, 2009

Rutherford: an idol of will

Friday, October 2, 2009
Meditation:
    But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”
    Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?”
    “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.”
    —John 4:32 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Verily, we know not what an evil it is to indulge ourselves, and to make an idol of our will... Once I would make much ado, if I saw not the world carved and set in order to my liking; now I am silent, when I see God... is fattening and feeding the children of perdition. I pray God, I may never find my will again.
    ... Samuel Rutherford (1600-1664), Letters of Samuel Rutherford, Edinburgh: William Whyte & Co., 1848, letter, Feb. 20, 1637, p. 192 (see the book)
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, my will is swallowed up in Yours.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

1 Comments:

Blogger JScoby said...

Timely quote. Thank you. I never realized how our will can become an idol! After all, in reality we don't determine anything (hard or soft). Jesus, who is the Word ("and the Word was God), alone is the Sovereign over all of life.
Our pastor has been recently challenging our congregation with the question, "Why don't pant for God as the psalmist did?" (Alluding to Ps. 63 and 42). His series of messages have been timely, challenging, and convicting! Could it me because we have failed to keep ourselves from idols? (I John 5:21). Indeed, may my will be swallowed up in His.
Thank you again for Samuel Rutherford's quote.

October 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home