Thursday, January 31, 2008

CQOD: 02/02/08 -- Bronnert: successful evangelism?

Christian Quotation of the Day

February 2, 2008
THE PRESENTATION OF CHRIST IN THE TEMPLE
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
    -- John 5:36-40 (NIV)

Quotation:
    It belongs to the very nature of the gospel that the Church is built across cultural, social, and racial barriers. There are siren voices (as well as gut reactions) telling Christians that the way to success in evangelism is to follow the natural divisions, and to try to build churches along cultural, social and racial divisions. In doing so, they ignore the “success” in the New Testament in crossing these lines; more importantly, they are in fact stressing success more highly than the truth of the gospel. To buy success at the price of treating the fundamental nature of the gospel as dispensable is to follow a false gospel.
    ... David Bronnert, “The Gospel and Culture” in The Changing World

Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, keep me from favoritism.


See Believer's Desktop Companion 2007
    http://www.cqod.com/cqoddtcb.html

CQOD Compilation Copyright 2008, Robert McAnally Adams, Curator
CQOD Home Page:    http://www.cqod.com/
Subscription info: http://www.cqod.com/cqodlist.htm
Comments and problems: email to curator@cqod.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for bibliographical information on the book cited here (THE CHANGING WORLD). Is Bronnert the author, or just a contributor? It sounds like a good book.

February 3, 2008 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Robert McAnally Adams said...

The Changing world was, I believe, a periodical to which Fr. Bronnert contributed.

February 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Robert McAnally Adams said...

Rev. Bronnert writes, "There was a National Evangelical Congress at Nottingham in 1977 and I was one of the speakers - the preparatory papers were published in three books and my contribution was in the third. The general editor was John Stott and the publisher, the Fountain Press. The overall title was Obeying Christ in a Changing World. Volume 3 was The Changing World and my chapter The Gospel and Culture."

February 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home