Saturday, June 03, 2006

CQOD: 06/03/06 -- Short: conviction vs. persuasion

Christian Quotation of the Day

June 3, 2006
Feast of Edward King, Bishop of Lincoln, Teacher, 1910Commemoration of Martyrs of Uganda, 1886 & 1978
Meditation:
    If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.
    -- John 10:37-38 (ESV)

Quotation:
    Jesus calls us not only to repentance, to the “letting go” of the false gods we come to him with; but he goes one more difficult step farther: he also calls us to believe in him alone as the decisive, absolutely unique, once and for all, full revelation of God to man. This is extremely difficult for us, because Jesus was careful to give men no external guarantee that he was, in fact, God in the flesh. Otherwise, he realized, we would not be worshipping him, but would only be worshipping or trusting in the guarantee, whatever it might be.
    ... Robert L. Short (b.1932), The Parables of Peanuts [1968]

Quiet time reflection:
    Though I have not seen You, Lord, I believe.


See Believer's Desktop Companion 2004
    http://www.cqod.com/cqoddtcb.html

CQOD Compilation Copyright 2006, Robert McAnally Adams, Curator
CQOD Home Page:    http://www.cqod.com/
Subscription info: http://www.cqod.com/cqodlist.htm
Comments and problems: email to curator@gospelcom.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home